The drone can be damaged by opponents and can be equipped with swords, firearms and armor when the Engineer invests points in the corresponding skills, whereas the bots can be neither targeted by enemies nor customized in any way. There are, however, self-destruction commands for two of the bots in the form of skills. The Engineers' damage output and survivability are both average. Consider the Engineer the jack of all trades yet the master of none.
While leveling here are some unique weapon suggestions in order:
Some end game weapon suggestions:
- Lee's Lightlance
- Dunbar's Disruptor
- Penetration pistol
- Hu's Hypershot
- Person of Thor
- Z-83 Gatling Rail Cannon
There are many variations of Engineer builds so I will focus on the mainstream builds.
- Support Moltov Assault/Haste Bot http://www.hellgateaus.net/planner/#Engineer,53,50,1,v1.00001031a06a103222021001010110000
This variation of the Engineer build maxes both Moltov Assault and Haste Bot.
I consider this build one of the most group friendly builds.
For drone summoning you will be swapping on weapons and also armor peices to achieve +drone +master engineer +% drone health +% drone armor.
Also swapping for +Napalm Strikes and +Smackdown for good AOE'ing as well.
Your group will appreciate a 10/10 haste bot to increase their damage.
Summoner pets shoot/attack faster, MMs' shoot faster, BMs' and Guardians' will be a sword and board or dual weilding monster hacking machines!
- Striker Build (Drone no Moltov) http://www.hellgateaus.net/planner/#Engineer,53,50,1,v1.00001031a010103122021000030117770
This build has the AOE's to rock with the best of them in SH. Access to multiple strikes depending on taste, you rein down fire from above and below.
Engineer's are unique from MM in that our strikes have the ability to Critical based upon your crit chance%.
Strikes have Skill Synergy where if you spec into one strike it provids an additional abilty towards all your other strikes.
- Napalm Strike Synergy - Increases duration of all precision strike skills by %
- Shock and Awe Synergy - Increases radius of all precision strike skills by %
- Smackdown - Increases - Increases elemental attack strengths of all precision strike skills by %
In order to save skill points some will end up using weapons with +% to your desired strike
You can swap to the weapon set with your + weapon strikes in hand, cast the strike and then swap back to your main weapons
Since this above build minus Moltov Assault I highly suggest this ring
- Increased splash damage radius
In order to maximize your strikes, aim to increase your +% increased splash damage radius. This can be accomplished in a few ways:
Weilding a weapon with +% inheriant splash radius and equipping mods with +% splash radius
Synergy from Shock and Awe strike
- Fuel (requires str)
- Relic (requires str)
- Rocket (requires str)
- Fuel (requires str)
- 1st room Stonehenge (SH)
Strikes have been made popular in SH where you cast your strikes in the 1st big room, causing AOE damage killing all the mobs very quickly and then zone out and reset the field (resetting the instance).
This is a very effective way to level solo or group especially popular during the Hellrush event.
- Drone Heavy
Your drone is your side kick, there are many drones like him, but this one is yours! You are the Super Hero and your drone is your very trusty tanking side kick.
With the ability to wield some of the best weapons and armor depending on how you invest the points into your drone and drone abilites.
Drone and Bots
- Spider Mine
- Capable of dispatching mobs with ease even on Hell difficulty.
- Electric element means you can cast it even when under shock status.
- Auto-tracks enemy mobs.
- Range (around 30 meters).
- Can have up to 6 out at once.
- Lackluster AI on occasion.
- Cannot target flying mobs (although if it detonates on a grounded mob the resulting explosion will damage flying mobs in it's spherical AoE floor to ceiling)
- Small 5m AoE radius (can be increased with +splash dmg mods)
- Spider Mine's cast time is roughly 2 seconds and they can only be summoned one at a time.
- Persistence, Spider Mines only last 12 seconds before dying off.
- Deploy sound is bugged. To the other players in the party, it will sound like they are constantly launching a bot. (Rocket Bot for example, does not suffer from this problem)
- When the Spider Mine detonates, the resulting explosion will commonly cause a severe FPS drop to nearby players and can interfere with their ability to aim and do damage.
- The above two cons cause some players to be hostile toward Engineers who use Spider Mines in a party; this usually results in the Engie being kicked from the party.
Tips and Tricks
Q. If I equip a gun with Ignite attack strength mods does this increase napalm strike and molotov ignite strength?
A. No, mods do not Fawkes +ignite on armor yes
+% splash radius mods will affect the radius of Moltov Assault, strikes and splash damage on equipped weapon.
+% minion damage will affect the Moltov Assault skill and your bots ex: drone, rocket bot, spider mines
- Escape is your good friend. Really good friend. Engineers can use it to both retreat (fully or tactically) and as a respite to bring up a dead drone while healing up themselves. Marksman should use it to position themselves both during a tactical retreat and for offensive purposes--using stealth to move into a good position for a Rapid Shot opener can be devastating, or as a retreat to range for napalm and a few choice sniper shots, as a couple of examples. Also very useful during pvp.
- Mobility and speed are more and more important as you get higher in level. Adrenaline pills, Sprint skill bonuses, and Escape can help you retain your mobility, making you that much more of a difficult target--all the while letting your "pets" should be doing the dirty work.
- If you chose to go with a low Accuracy "pure" build, remember to avoid tech mods which commonly require Accuracy to equip. Instead, seek out those potent but Willpower heavy mods that can make a drastic difference to your weapon effectiveness. Additionally, it is very effective to include some shield override mods in your AOE weapons to rapidly wear down the defenses of shield-heavy groups, such as Imps.
- AOE weapons can be a great choice because you won't suffer for a lack of Accuracy skill while still outputting very a solid DPS directly. Combine this with "field" weapons on your drone and the two of you can wipe out tough groups like Pro's. This can be even more effective if you make a drone with a focus on Accuracy and Willpower, enabling them to use strong and well-modded weaponry. Just don't expect them to live quite as long.
- Use caution when upgrading your weaponry if you are pursuing a "pure" build with low Accuracy. You can quickly make a weapon unusable as the Accuracy requirements increase with each level upgrade. Generally, you should be prepared to re-mod your weapon alongside any upgrades--a good thing but taking a little work at times.
- Don't overlook pistols as a solid short to medium range weapon set. Two pistols often have lower accuracy requirements than a single 2-handed weapon and can offer a mix of mod slot types and affixes that are uncommon to your longer range or 2-H AOE weapons.
- Some laser rifles make for solid engineer weapons due to the varied damage types you can find within (including physical, spectral, toxic, and electric). They also provide Relic mod slots, an uncommon slot for other Hunter weaponry and a means for you to access comparatively rare affixes, when compared to other mod slot types.
- Thanks to your versatility with modding, it is possible to build up some effect heavy weaponry, particularly in some of the Acc/Str weaponry that already has two or more types of weapon damage and types (including some of the rocket pistols, which offer direct and splash, sometimes of two types!) This means you can cause several effects to occur against a single foe thanks to a smart mixture of rocket pistols.
- Mixed Engineers will inevitably strive for higher Accuracy in order to increase their own, direct DPS. This can be a mixed bag but can also be extremely effective if you keep a very strong Power focus--this will let you carry very good weapons with extremely good mods. However, you'll be less capable of wearing the armor that will let you hang-tough when it gets tough. As a result, strive for strategies that let you stay at range more often than not, and build up your drone as a tank to play interference rather than focus on its offensive (at least as much).
- Movement speed: 100
- Shields: 0
- Recovery Rate: 120/min
- Armor: 0
- Damage Absorbed: 0%