Author Topic: hellgate logo summoning circle  (Read 170 times)

Identity

• Nameless
hellgate logo summoning circle
« on: Jul 07, 2017; 09:59 AM »
hi there,

i've never been one for thorough background story research *cough* at least not in the hellgate universe. so, with my limited understanding of that, i'd like to know more about the logo summoning circle:

specifically, what's the glyphs in the outer ring, is it a language, what does it say, what do the lines mean, what's the purpose of this summoning circle, are there others like it? tell me anything and everything :) thanks in advance
@RL :)

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
Re: hellgate logo summoning circle
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2017; 11:28 AM »
I think the outer ring might be heavily inspired by the movie "Stargate" and its corresponding device - where the glyphs are intended to represent constellations. If you look at e.g. http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Glyph, the symbols are not identical but nevertheless bear a striking resemblance...

As for the lines - no idea. Probably just a 'fantasy' drawing to add some visual backfill to what would otherwise be a relatively empty center. [EDIT] It might be noteworthy that the animations used for Hellgate:London have the glyphs rotating while the line artwork is 'static' (remains in place).

Regards, NiteHawk
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017; 12:03 PM by NiteHawk »
"'Chocolate Park' sounds... suspiciously cute."

Omerta

• Raging Meataloafmaniac
  • Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2017; 08:53 PM »
The glyphs are probably intended to represent occult/satanic/wiccan symbols for demons/demonic powers, probably intended to represent the summoning spells that bring the demons in-between our world and hell in the game (see the Great Circle of Summoning in the last image below).

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017; 08:55 PM by Omerta »

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2017; 10:02 PM »
Ah, very good indeed. It seems I was completely on the wrong track then. Wikipedia also has an article on these magical sigils.

This also suggests that the more abstract line art might be in the same category, following construction principles similar to the kameas-type of magic squares.

Regards, NiteHawk
"'Chocolate Park' sounds... suspiciously cute."

Omerta

• Raging Meataloafmaniac
  • Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2017; 10:46 PM »
Oooh good find, I am almost certain the center/background of the circle is a kameas magic square-based design. I like the thoughtful implications this has for the logo designer :D

Identity

• Nameless
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2017; 01:30 PM »
awesome, thx for the hints, i'll look into this :)
@RL :)