Author Topic: Games like hellgate?  (Read 5387 times)

BlueSunshine

• Nameless
Re: Games like hellgate?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2015; 09:17 AM »
 Like the idea that there are only seven basic plots in stories-
1 Overcoming the Monster
2 Rags to Riches
3 The Quest
4 Voyage and Return
5 Comedy
6 Tragedy
7 Rebirth

There are probably only seven basic computer games, just with increasingly good graphics and higher prices :o- at least that's what I would tell my kids when they asked why I was still playing the old games :).
"Players only love you when they're playing"

BlueSunshine 8)

LegendaryU2K

• Nameless
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2015; 03:51 AM »

You know whats amazing though, hellgate is the best rpg ever, no other rpg game i played beats it. nothing. all these new rpg action games sucks compared to hellgate. grim dawn is nice though, but besides that i haven't found any other new rpg action games like hellgate and better.

im just glad i have london forever :)

Dank Rafft

• Founder
  • Named
  • but friends call me daft
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2015; 05:33 AM »
The ones I like the best and have the most in common with Hellgate IMO are Borderlands (definitely my favorite one), Grim Dawn and Warframe.

spag

• Named
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2015; 06:46 AM »
Played Warframe when it was in beta.Went back and forth thru the years with it and still check on the game every week but do not play anymore.One game I did get back to is Nether(bought it on Steam lately  for $2.19 a real steal).I like the atmosphere and ambiance and is far more grim than Hellgate.But Hellgate IS and always be for me the best game ever to play with even after 7 years.And I tried a boatload of games online thru the years and no one compares to it. ;)

Morphy

• Named
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2015; 02:03 PM »

You know whats amazing though, hellgate is the best rpg ever, no other rpg game i played beats it. nothing. all these new rpg action games sucks compared to hellgate. grim dawn is nice though, but besides that i haven't found any other new rpg action games like hellgate and better.

Grim Dawn is good - but I WISH, fervently, that it had a first person mode - like HG's "roll the mouse wheel" and you move from over-the-shoulder to seeing through their eyes.

Imagine those GD zombie things in 3D first-person!

Dank Rafft

• Founder
  • Named
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2015; 03:00 PM »

Grim Dawn is good - but I WISH, fervently, that it had a first person mode - like HG's "roll the mouse wheel" and you move from over-the-shoulder to seeing through their eyes.

Imagine those GD zombie things in 3D first-person!
The textures would be horrible. :D

RedChaos

• SpamBot
  • Founder
  • Named
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2015; 06:04 PM »
the older we get the more things seem to be watered down to the point of hur mer gurd its to easy where has the brutal days of the nes gone? where some of the game you practicaly had to cheat to win. now its the opposite lol.

An interesting point.

The graphics weren't enough to fully engage a person so the game play itself had to - ad we made up our own graphics in our heads.

As graphic became better and better to game itself suffered (not always, granted).

Now we have games that look like fantasy-science reality, fully modelled physics and space flight, exoskeletons and dragon-calls... and the magic is missing, the game drive the gamer rather than the other way around.

Maybe people are... um..  dumber, simpler, more basic of thought (the success of the utter CRAP of RealityTV bears that idea out) - and the games are designed for the market.

No point making a complex and interwoven game when no one will buy it becasue it's too hard or convoluted for them.

(That sort of explains why games like Beyond Good and Evil failed, Psychonauts, et al)
It isn't all graphics, or the want to sell to the more casual market. I am starting to wonder if it isn't partly our own fault. I liked playing a lot of the old games. I couldn't even stand to play them nowadays though. Even if they the graphics were taken to todyals level and some of the game play given a little standard day polish.

Lots of what we think of as great games may just be those rose tinted glasses we bought as we grew up. There are plenty of great games today. There are also a lot more crap games.

Think of it as the NES had a baby with Atari. It is making all the games its parents did. We are getting lots of good games and lots of crap games. That is a lot of games to choose from. So choose wisely.

Minecraft beats any game I have ever played. Only with mods though. That is also what makes a game good is the community that flocks to it. Supports it. Plays it.

(sorry, had to rush this post. I have a appointment on mondays about now that I attend. So this post could have been much worse then this.)

Dank Rafft

• Founder
  • Named
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2015; 06:34 PM »
It isn't all graphics, or the want to sell to the more casual market. I am starting to wonder if it isn't partly our own fault. I liked playing a lot of the old games. I couldn't even stand to play them nowadays though. Even if they the graphics were taken to todyals level and some of the game play given a little standard day polish.

Lots of what we think of as great games may just be those rose tinted glasses we bought as we grew up. There are plenty of great games today. There are also a lot more crap games.

Think of it as the NES had a baby with Atari. It is making all the games its parents did. We are getting lots of good games and lots of crap games. That is a lot of games to choose from. So choose wisely.
Exactly my thoughts.  :)

RedChaos

• SpamBot
  • Founder
  • Named
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2015; 04:35 AM »
Spent a hour looking up a game that would fill my desire for explosion chaining madness that was Burnout's Crash Mode. Found that there was nothing like it, and there is nothing like it. There might be something like it in the future though. Will have to wait and see.

LegendaryU2K

• Nameless
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2015; 10:20 AM »

well torchlight 1 and 2 and fate series by wildtanget are the only games like hellgate because from my understating some of the people who made hellgate made those games. so hose games are great also

nerfed

• Nameless
  • IGN: Nerf, Nightwish, iQ
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016; 10:07 PM »
Not sure how active this is at this point, but since TL and GD were mentioned in here a fairly new game i'm keeping an eye on is Wolcen. Very early access stages currently, probably be a long time before it's worth investing time in, but looks promising.

The early access is available on steam now, but as stated above, it's in a very early stage.

https://umbragame.com/home/
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.