Author Topic: The dreaded memory leak  (Read 10566 times)

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
The dreaded memory leak
« on: Aug 21, 2010; 10:53 PM »
Hi all, I have noticed that at least one person doesn't know about the work around for the memory leak in HG:L so I thought I would bring this topic back into the limelight to help out the newer members or those who are new to the game that have older computers or not enough RAM.  Yes I realize that this has been covered before but, the last post in that thread is about a year old and it didn't cover how to change the pagefile.

So here go's, all you have to do is change your pagefile/virtual memory
These instructions are for XP users

Right click My Computer, then click the Advanced tab, go down to Performance click settings, then the Advanced tab. At the bottom it will say Virtual Memory click change, now change the Initial and Maximum sizes to 5000 or more (I would recommend 10000 if your HDD has the room) then click OK, you may have to restart your computer after you're done.

Originally posted by Kite: for Win7 users
You mean increase the size of your virtual memory?

* "Windows-key + Pause" (Hotkey combination :P)
    * Advanced system settings
    * Advanced -> Performance -> Settings
    * Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change
    * Select the partition for which you want to change the "Page File Size", select "Custom size" and enter your prefered values (make sure your HDD has enough space left)
    * Click "Set" and then "OK" and you're done :)

That should help, or at least make it so you dont have to keep restarting the game so often, and there are other things you can do as well.

EDIT: These instructions are for the HG:L Single Player, it is unknown if they are feasible for the T3Fun Hellgate Global testing
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011; 08:07 AM by Wildman »
All is cloaked in darkness and the darkness is my home. I shun the light but still I fight, until the dark is safe once again.

thegreatcthulhu

• Great Priest of the Deep Ones
  • Administrator
  • Eldest
    • http://www.sotwguild.com/
Re: The dreded memory leak
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2010; 02:39 AM »
Changing the game's priority from normal to high (or even real time) can help as well. CTRL+ALT+DELETE while Hellgate is running; right click hellgate, go to set priority, and from there, change it to something higher than normal.

This sometimes can cause ill side effects though. Setting it higher than something your system can tolerate may cause crashing. Thus, the results will vary for each individual.
Not to us, Lord, but to Your Name give the glory
    - The Templar Motto

Teach me, empower me, purify me, release me
      - The Templar Prayer

maeyan

• Loves Hellgate
  • Administrator
  • Eldest
Re: The dreaded memory leak
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2010; 08:17 AM »
If your system has 4GB of RAM your generally safe. I've never crashed
Don't dream what to be; be what you always dreamed.

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2010; 04:14 PM »
Doesn't Win7 drain some?Got 3GB on a Win7 system,just asking to know if I should be preparing for some crashes there  :P
"Dream big and crash often"
-Omerta

List of Global class guides.
The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Killious

• Founder
  • Dark Will
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2010; 11:06 PM »
Quote from: "maeyan"
If your system has 4GB of RAM your generally safe. I've never crashed

4Gb of RAM with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I don't ever crash either.
Watching drones shoot walls since Sept. 2007

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2010; 04:38 AM »
Quote from: "Bryan"
Doesn't Win7 drain some?Got 3GB on a Win7 system,just asking to know if I should be preparing for some crashes there  :P

Bryan, Win 7 is a little more generous with the pagefile so you should be OK but it wouldn't hurt to make it larger just in case. The big reason I started this thread was for those using older systems, especially XP and Vista using 3Gb or less of RAM, FSS did take care of most of the issue for MP (they didn't eliminate it) but they didn't dedicate a lot of time to the SP so the memory leak still exists.

I'm using Win 7 HP 64bit with 4Gb of RAM as well and no crashing, but on my XP boot it has crashed especially when I'm playing an Evoker or a MM. 32bit systems only recognize 3.2Gb.
All is cloaked in darkness and the darkness is my home. I shun the light but still I fight, until the dark is safe once again.

thedoommarine

• Named
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2010; 06:10 AM »
Wait wait wait, there is a memory leak? Hmm must not affect my 6GB of RAM and my 1 GB of GDDR5 on my 5870 graphics card being shared by DX11, because I am getting between 100 to 300 fps on max settings depending on the size of the area. And yes I do play Cysis with this thing, very fun game.
My eyes can but weep as they bear witness to the majesty...the BFG 9000!

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2010; 03:18 AM »
For a couple of days I've been having the station loading screens stuck at well,loading... :evil:
And on top of that awesome bit,textures sometimes either go missing or turn all squared.
Not permanent,but they both DO happen every now and then.
Any chance it's related?

Running Hellgate on a Win7 32bit system with 3GB of RAM,recently did a format just in case and still no improvement.
-Omerta

The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010; 05:24 AM »
Bryan, what are your system spec's mobo, cpu, video card, psu......it may have something to do with it, but I doubt it, the mem leak usually cause's a crash.

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2010; 05:48 AM »
Gonna go home and check,it's kinda new and all so the exact specs elude me right now :oops:

Highly doubt it's a spec problem though,I've run much more demanding games than Hellgate with no problems whatsoever.That's why I had the suspicion the issue'd be with the game itself...
-Omerta

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2010; 06:06 AM »
That is true, but for dx10 the recommended card is a 8800, so even if you were using say a GTX460 you are still below the recommended spec even tho it is a newer card. The 6200 is recommended for the minimum dx9 use.

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2010; 06:18 AM »
Well running dx9 either way,still dx10 never had problems whatsoever so I doubt that's where the problem is.  :(
-Omerta

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2010; 06:47 AM »
Oh, I meant HG:L recommended spec, sorry bout that.

Back on topic: does the problem clear up after restarting the game. Do you have a way of monitoring your ram usage.

It could still help if you could put up your system spec's and game settings, if I cant help, others can as you probably know by now :)

thegreatcthulhu

• Great Priest of the Deep Ones
  • Administrator
  • Eldest
    • http://www.sotwguild.com/
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2010; 06:55 AM »
@Bryan:

You managed to get the infinite loading screen bug on DX10?
Not to us, Lord, but to Your Name give the glory
    - The Templar Motto

Teach me, empower me, purify me, release me
      - The Templar Prayer

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2010; 01:01 AM »
Quote from: "Wildman"
does the problem clear up after restarting the game. Do you have a way of monitoring your ram usage.

Persistent as hell,restarting works but it might still happen again after say,an hour.
I've dedicated my entire RAM to the ungrateful lad,got nothing else running and I even set HGL's priority to Above High at task manager's processes tab...What can I say.

Modem problem still not solved btw,soon as it's solved I'm posting my specs just in case something gives a pointer.

Quote from: "thegreatcthulhu"
@Bryan:

You managed to get the infinite loading screen bug on DX10?

DX9 actually,but I think I got it on DX10 too once or twice.Though I could be mistaken on that one,memory seems to fail me these days.
-Omerta