Author Topic: The dreaded memory leak  (Read 9980 times)

FelixTheCrazy

• Founder
  • Nameless
Re: The dreaded memory leak
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2010; 10:36 PM »
If the NPCs fail to show up in the stations would that be related to memory leak? It started happening after about 45 minutes of play and if I jump into a zone once or twice they come back...

Running:
Vista 32bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 ghz
4 GB RAM
Nvidia EVGA GTS 250 1GB

And about 80GB free on my HDD
Crazy_Bullets : Gundian
Relaxing in the shade of a bonsai while contemplating the coming apocalypse...

Kite

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2010; 11:37 PM »
Quote from: "FelixTheCrazy"
If the NPCs fail to show up in the stations would that be related to memory leak? It started happening after about 45 minutes of play and if I jump into a zone once or twice they come back...

Running:
Vista 32bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 ghz
4 GB RAM
Nvidia EVGA GTS 250 1GB

And about 80GB free on my HDD

I'd relate that to some random hickups the game sometimes has... Also happens to me from time to time

Vista 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 ghz
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD4870 512MB
~ Recettear ~
Capitalism, ho!

FelixTheCrazy

• Founder
  • Nameless
« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2010; 11:50 PM »
Ok thanks. I stepped away for long enough that I don't remember what is and isn't 'normal'. But I'm having a blast playing again. Thanks for all your hard work guys!

FelixTheCrazy

• Founder
  • Nameless
« Reply #33 on: Sep 25, 2010; 03:29 PM »
After switching up to dx10 I was able to play for 3-4 hours straight with no issues. NPCs never disappeared and I never got the never ending loading ring of death. Not sure if it will help anyone else, but it helped me...

difas

• Nameless
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2011; 05:24 PM »
how can i do this on win7?

i mean, i cant follow the procedure mentioned on the first topic..

Kite

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2011; 07:48 PM »
Quote from: "difas"
how can i do this on win7?

i mean, i cant follow the procedure mentioned on the first topic..

You mean increase the size of your virtual memory?
  • "Windows-key + Pause" (Hotkey combination :P)
  • Advanced system settings
  • Advanced -> Performance -> Settings
  • Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change
  • Select the partition for which you want to change the "Page File Size", select "Custom size" and enter your prefered values (make sure your HDD has enough space left)
  • Click "Set" and then "OK" and you're done :)
~ Recettear ~
Capitalism, ho!

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2011; 12:17 AM »
Kite if you dont mind, I'm going to edit my OP and add what you posted, for those using Win7 32bit. Hopefully it will help to avoid confusion.
All is cloaked in darkness and the darkness is my home. I shun the light but still I fight, until the dark is safe once again.

tock333

• Nameless
« Reply #37 on: Jun 07, 2011; 05:05 PM »
I have a Vista 64bit OS, Intel QuadCore, 8 gig of ram, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 with 1 gig of ram.

For a bit there HG:L would not even start... Now it starts but crashes after around 20 or 30 minutes. I tried all sorts of different settings, with DX9 or 10 and different resolutions and even playing in windowed mode... That was when I saw that as soon as the game starts, even if it is just sitting in the game menu before starting a game, my available memory slowly counts down until I hit about 1,2 gigs at which point it crashes... So yes it is a clear memory leak problem.

My current virtual memory size is 8.5 gigs as well.

Do you think increasing my virtual memory would really help here? Also would the game then just start eating up HD space leading to an inevitable crash much much later?

Any ideas and info are appreciated!

Wildman

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Mental Case
« Reply #38 on: Jun 08, 2011; 02:58 AM »
tock333, I'm going to assume you were in the Hellgate CBT, because I have never seen the SP use anywhere near that much memory.

If you were in the CBT when this happened, it has a major mem leak (among other problems) and actually after about 4 hours of playing I noticed that it was using about 75% of my memory. I am running Win 7 64bit with 8gig of RAM and haven't adjusted my VM at all.

If you were playing the SP, then there is something else going on in your system. You may have something using up memory in the back ground while HG:L is running. You need to make sure that something like FRAPS or your AV isn't running in the back ground, then try again.
All is cloaked in darkness and the darkness is my home. I shun the light but still I fight, until the dark is safe once again.

endersblade

• Nameless
« Reply #39 on: Jul 13, 2011; 06:06 AM »
I have, more or less, the same setup as tock333, and I'm getting BSODs all the time.  Running Revival 1.2.1.  One way I know for sure, 100% to cause it.  If I move the camera from side to side for a couple seconds rapidly (as in, attempting to stand in one place and strafe an area with bullets) I get BSOD'd out.  Every single time, doesn't matter where I am, what's in front of me, or what weapon I use.

Secondly, after roughly an hour of playing, maybe less, I BSOD.  I've tried minimizing it to check memory usage, and nothing looks out of place.  Don't have anything else of importance running in the background; I've tried disabling my Antivirus, but I still BSOD.

It's gotten to the point where I hate having quests that are in areas more than one zone away from a town.  Usually every time I get into the second zone from a station, I pretty much get a BSOD before I can complete whatever task is at hand.  I've tried things, such as setting core affinity, high priority, but nothing helps.

zodsworld

• Nameless
« Reply #40 on: Aug 16, 2016; 08:08 AM »
I'd like to throw in that on my system DX10 exe and Steam''s Broadcasting do not like each other. From crash on attempting to start to loaded in and playing then crashing, but mainly at start up or before in a zone. Dx9 exe doesn't seem to have an issue with it. Only thing i get from Dx9 is what I've always had over 3 totally different systems over the years all high end and that's the driver crashing on xp pro/resetting in Win 7 64. Dx10 just frame drop on a rare occasion long as Steam broadcasting is off.

Now back in the beginning from that Founders pre-closed beta event to some time after release I and many many others suffered from BSODs. For me it was mainly in the stations
that I remember but others had it elsewhere as well. Then it got supposedly fixed. Well I have always had my doubts, I think it just got toned down.... to a driver crash/reset lol.

Just in case some has problems starting or running thought I'd mention the Steam possible issue.

System specs roughly form memory currently using:
17 x980 cpu
EVGA x58classified 3way mobo
12 gigs RAM
Gigbyte 980 GTX vid