Author Topic: [SOLVED] Can't install on Win 10  (Read 489 times)

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
[SOLVED] Can't install on Win 10
« on: Mar 04, 2017; 05:32 AM »
Figured I'd toy around with the game yet again while waiting on 2038. Same as some other recent posters, I am stuck at 75-80%. Running Win 10. Tried both the x64 installer and the traditional setup installer. Tried running both as admin. Tried all this with AV (Windows Defender) off. No dice. I believe it's because Win 10 is not compatible with SafeDisc and SecuROM DRM. Any ideas or work arounds?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2017; 06:35 AM by jpnole »

snomann72

• Nameless
Re: Can't install on Win 10
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2017; 08:22 AM »
I installed Hellgate London fine on mine.  A good workaround would be to ISO the disc and then run it thru a ISO Emulator, like Daemon Tools.

You could try doing that and see if it works.  If not, then not sure.

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2017; 10:08 AM »
If you're using the x64 version of Win10, there should be no issues with SecuRom. While Hellgate had copy protection, it was only active for the x86 variant (requiring you to have the DVD in the drive upon start). The x64 install should neither activate nor attempt to use copy protection.

What worked for others too: Simply copy the entire contents of your DVD to a (temporary) folder on your hard drive, then run the installer (Setup.exe) from there. Should speed up things noticeably, and might allow you to get through with the installation.

[Side note: I've also installed from disc using Win10 x64 - took a while, but had no issues in doing so.]

Regards, NiteHawk
"'Chocolate Park' sounds... suspiciously cute."

UniqueRelic

• A Shady One
  • Nameless
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017; 09:39 PM »
i install mine through my iso rip of the disk. if i recall at this point its very slow because its bringing over some large files. if you have drive activity or disk just let it keep going. however an iso is much faster. specially if saved to a usb like i have.

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2017; 06:35 AM »
Fixed thanks! I ran CD Burner XP to make an ISO of my game disk and installed it from there. Much faster too from my SSD vs the external USB DVD drive. Happily playing Revival 2.3

RedChaos

• SpamBot
  • Founder
  • Named
Re: [SOLVED] Can't install on Win 10
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2017; 05:13 AM »
no need to use the installer. all the directories are set up right on the DVD. just copy over the entire "Flagship Studios" folder to a good install area.  create a txt document and name it "language.dat". place that in "\Flagship Studios\backup\Hellgate London\Data". the hard part is placing the language code in that file. edit it and place the Language=XXXXXX in. without spaces. where XXXXXX is a folder name from within the ".Hellgate London\Language" folder. i don't know if they all work and what might cause issues. i have only tried "Language=English" so far. any language from you install disc "might" work though

at this point i think it is install the single player patch. run the single player 64.exe of that choice set once.  install the multiplayer patch. run the multi player 64.exe of that choice set once.

now for some important tips. on windows: create a shortcut. add " -buildserver" to the end of the target line. so it looks something like this ""D:\games\Flagship Studios\Hellgate London\SP_x64\hellgate_sp_dx10_x64.exe" -buildserver". run the game from that shortcut. adjust all the options the way you want them. now make copies of that for any mod set you want to use. using a different shortcut for each install. making sure the buildserver is on each. always install to the install for that mod set. never another or the original.

-buildserver puts the stuff that normally goes into my document in the hellgate folder for that install instead.

patch the new copy any way you want. i usually append the mod set name to the "hellgate london" folder name. to get rid of a mod set install just delete it. copying the original install only for any new modset.

(likely a old thread. thought this went well here though. as it is a lot of info i found useful)