Author Topic: 2038 Ideas: Skill/Class/General changes!  (Read 6407 times)

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
2038 Ideas: Skill/Class/General changes!
« on: Jan 04, 2017; 03:54 AM »
Heya :)

As the progress on London 2038 maintains a steady pace,we want to hear the players' thoughts and suggestions on skill/class/general changes. Anything goes,so share your deepest desires ;)

Kindly note:

• Class balance and skill changes will only be a priority once the game is in a stable state.

• Not all suggestions can be given equal consideration,as they may conflict with each other,be balance-breaking in themselves,and so forth.

• Ultimately,the dev team cannot commit to act on all suggestions. That is not to say that feedback isn't appreciated (for it surely is),but only that popular demand may not meet the devs' criteria in all cases.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017; 03:32 AM by Bryan »
"Dream big and crash often"
-Omerta

List of Global class guides.
The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Omerta

• Raging Meataloafmaniac
  • Developer
  • Nameless
Re: Ideas: Skill/Class changes!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017; 04:24 AM »
I personally think that the sniper spec/weapons for Marksman should be revamped so it is actually viable endgame. It is such a cool concept to have a sniper in an ARPG, but it falls short.

BlueSunshine

• Nameless
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017; 02:25 PM »
Well as you asked Bryan ;)

1: Remove loopholes such as rerolling vendors, London Bridge resets, etc. Ideally block all hacks mmbbq etc.
2: Try to remove temptation for repetitive straight to boss, reset runs by adding a counter which ups drop from bosses based on number of kills in the run in areas. Reward players for using more of the game content once at endgame stage.
3: Adjust boss drops to balance added time to reach from 1&2.
4: Add a drop for helping use nanoforge and augmented more effectively. Not too easy but at least possible to achieve ideal outputs eventually.
5: Make elemental effects worthwhile option and balance critical so it is not the only route to go.
6: I agree with Omerta, let's see if Sniper can be made to work better.
7: Try to limit need for endless SH level grinding. Make it always better to play the game than not when possible.

I am not sure what changes could be brought through from the single player mode as I have not tried them but should be lots of ideas there I guess. Multiplayer should be all about team play and should be almost impossible to play solo at hardest level.
Anyway that is all for now, good luck with the project and just getting a working game up and running will be a great achievement. It would be awesome though if you could take Hellgate forward in the way Grinding Gear have renewed Diablo2.
"Players only love you when they're playing"

BlueSunshine 8)

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017; 02:52 PM »
@BlueSunshine Thanks for the suggestions! Let's see to some of them early though.

1) I'm not sure if all loopholes can be removed,due to the nature of the mechanics. Say,Green Park being a battlezone and so forth. Hacks such as bbq will surely be a huge red flag though,as the team is very strict about it.

4) The current nanoforge is as it was in SP,not Global,so there's no chance at failure right now. But,if the team can get the forge/augger "enhancer" items to work,the most probable next step is to enable them as drops. This will be the case with other such items as well,as the project will not be monetized and thus there's no need to sell them.

5) That's a devout wish of mine as well. Fortunately so far it doesn't look like the intention was to shift the game towards crit builds,or at least not to the extent we saw in Global. Now,the line the team must tread on this is very delicate; crit builds cannot be made useless,but they do need to be regulated. Elemental effects do (in my view) need to be a viable option,but their combination with crit builds needs to be carefully considered,or we'll simply end up in a "crit-and-some-phase/ignite" endgame state.

6) Well,some SP mods have made wonderful steps towards this. Increase Sniper weapons' RoF and/or base dmg,tweak the Sniper skill's numbers and scope,and so forth. In my humble opinion,this will require much testing to be properly done but it should be quite an easy task.

7) I'm rather sure that we'll see much less of Global's SH grindfests. Not only is the exp curve going to be much more reasonable,but Wake Hallow will also be there. Frankly,that means the 1st room runs will be pretty much impossible ;)
-Omerta

The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Khorga

• Nameless
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017; 08:14 PM »
Hey everybody,

here are my points concerning changes:

First would be changing the limit for nano forge so that almost all weapons can be upgraded until max level. So some cool weapons can find their way into endgame or enables some quirky stuff to mess arround with resonable damage.

Remove some if not all faction requirements for guns as well as give all classes some sort of gun related skills.
Just remember the good ol' gun guardian :)

Balance number of sockets for weapons or give them all maximum possible sockets. Many many weapons just got dismissed from endgame due their lack of sockets especially for uniques and monster infrequent drops. Sure there are guns like dunbars, but many other suck due lack of sockets.

Just imagine that techsmith's toxin evaporator with 4 mod slots and lvl 50 base on that rapid fire MM...

And last but not least, thank you guys! You're just epic!!!

duelos

• Nameless
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017; 01:07 AM »
 Great to see work being done  in MP . Been alone time , I still play SP ,I like lost London . Way to go , keep up the hard work .

Malachor

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017; 03:36 AM »
Remove some if not all faction requirements for guns as well as give all classes some sort of gun related skills.
Just remember the good ol' gun guardian :)
EDIT: After giving this a bit more thought, I will disagree with my previous disagreement; to a certain point anyway. Weapons don't need to have maxed slots, but yes, making them in general more viable is a good idea, not just at endgame.
I disagree with this, since hunters will only get access to rubbish guns(low range), and the other factions have at least one weapon type specific to them(foci, and sword and shield), ok they still would, but they'd be getting better guns from the hunters.
Guardians already have access to guns, perhaps changing skills to work with them more effectively would be better.
Balance number of sockets for weapons or give them all maximum possible sockets. Many many weapons just got dismissed from endgame due their lack of sockets especially for uniques and monster infrequent drops. Sure there are guns like dunbars, but many other suck due lack of sockets.

Just imagine that techsmith's toxin evaporator with 4 mod slots and lvl 50 base on that rapid fire MM...
I'd rather mod slots stay the same. Look at the example you provided; it'll make the game easier.
Also adding extra mod slots to a weapon isn't an easy task. Most of what determines an item's mod slots is the model; they have various bones labeled the different slot type and number, like battery_slot1, battery_slot2 for example. Giving all weapons 8(maybe 9**) mod slots would be unbalanced, no hunter would use anything but Hu's Hypershots for example; a pair of 600 rpm pistols with 8/9 slots? Hello easy mode.

**the model for the posieden sniper rifle has 9 mod slots, but the game only supports 8.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2017; 03:50 AM by Malachor »

snomann72

• Nameless
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017; 03:45 AM »
1 idea came across to me is Auto-Dismantle.  Could it be possible in the near future when the game is out, code it in.  I believe there was a feature in MP of HGL.

BlueSunshine

• Nameless
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017; 10:35 AM »
@Bryan
Thanks for the prompt response :)
I guess I have been globalised :D My memories of the original game have grown dim with my advancing years. I only really picked it up from my son who had the original from launch and started playing once the multiplayer servers were thrown open at the end. I loved it and the original BlueSunshine was running around SH on the night they shut down.
Keep up the good work and HGL can live again multiplayer in a better condition than ever before, the game we all want it to be!
"Players only love you when they're playing"

BlueSunshine 8)

Dragonborn

• Nameless
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017; 01:21 PM »
Are we able to chat by Microphone like XFIRE ?

Butsutekkai

• Founder
  • Named
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017; 03:48 PM »
1 idea came across to me is Auto-Dismantle.  Could it be possible in the near future when the game is out, code it in.  I believe there was a feature in MP of HGL.

I was about to suggest the same thing even though it has no connexion with the skills ^^ It was a really cool thing in HGG but very limited because it was from the cach shop iirc.

As for the skills, i might be a bit rusty and not being completely up to date, but id like to see a slight buff for the lightning skills of the evoker. I love static "turret" skills like the storm cloud but it was a bit underwhelming last time i tried. Maybe increasing the radius/number of thunder hits as we invest points in it ?
Zeel - 55/50 Evoker                     >
Nx03-Hogire - 55/50 Striker engi >
KrameRr - 55/50 Marksman         >
   All retired :(

Itsjustme

• Nameless
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017; 10:26 PM »
Will it be ranks? If so maybe a way so u can level to 55 first and then rank. Didnt worked any good in hgg If level before ranks

Dont remeber how it was in hgl but in naga some skills cost very much mana to cast

I dont like that when u nano a weapon it increase the item level so the mods dont fit anymore

Im very glad that u guys are so awesome and put alot of time in this game, nice work

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017; 10:34 PM »

There's a very good probability that it will make it in ;)

Are we able to chat by Microphone like XFIRE ?

Not so far as far as I know,but Discord should make for a decent substitute,no?

As for the skills, i might be a bit rusty and not being completely up to date, but id like to see a slight buff for the lightning skills of the evoker. I love static "turret" skills like the storm cloud but it was a bit underwhelming last time i tried. Maybe increasing the radius/number of thunder hits as we invest points in it ?

Last I checked it,ours looked quite impressive actually.
But that's a very viable suggestion to keep in mind during endgame testing :)

Will it be ranks? If so maybe a way so u can level to 55 first and then rank. Didnt worked any good in hgg If level before ranks

Dont remeber how it was in hgl but in naga some skills cost very much mana to cast

I dont like that when u nano a weapon it increase the item level so the mods dont fit anymore

Ranks are there,but I'm not sure how scaling is/will be handled. So I can't tell if it will be optimal to grind for Ranks at lv50 or lv55. I do know the exp will be quite more reasonable though :)

Mana cost seems much more reasonable than in Global so far,but I haven't reached endgame yet to tell...

I can't tell if the Forge will change or remain the same either,sadly. Though I do share your dissatisfaction with it rendering mods incompatible,I do like that it can carry mid-level weapons all the way to the endgame if one wishes :)

-Omerta

Butsutekkai

• Founder
  • Named
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017; 10:46 PM »
Wow really nice to see auto dismantlers are likely to get in !

I never played the original MP but only the HGG one, and i remember the cash shop being a giant cock blocker for the enjoyement. As stated, 2038 will be free without premium or anything so how are you huys planning the features that was previously in the cash shop ? Full access to all the perks seems reasonnable to me as having to pay in HGG to not destroy your items by going above +6 or mods when removing them was a gigantic stupid idea, but i can't vouch for the features the original MP had.
Zeel - 55/50 Evoker                     >
Nx03-Hogire - 55/50 Striker engi >
KrameRr - 55/50 Marksman         >
   All retired :(

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017; 11:07 PM »
Wow really nice to see auto dismantlers are likely to get in !

I never played the original MP but only the HGG one, and i remember the cash shop being a giant cock blocker for the enjoyement. As stated, 2038 will be free without premium or anything so how are you huys planning the features that was previously in the cash shop ? Full access to all the perks seems reasonnable to me as having to pay in HGG to not destroy your items by going above +6 or mods when removing them was a gigantic stupid idea, but i can't vouch for the features the original MP had.

Most such items that can be retrofitted will most likely either appear as drops,or be readily available to everyone. Can't say anything beyond that,as frankly it's too early to tell.
If there's one thing that's already certain,it's that nothing will be balanced around a cash shop ;)

As for the second part of your comment. So far,both the Forge and the Demodificator work as they were in SP,so no such items are needed to counter-balance their...unfortunate side-effects in Global.
If they do change (which I doubt),such items will surely also be added.
-Omerta