Author Topic: 2038 Ideas: Events!  (Read 867 times)

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
2038 Ideas: Events!
« on: Jan 21, 2017; 05:20 PM »
Heya :)

While development and testing are keeping a steady and promising pace,VampQ and I have started brainstorming on future community events.
A few poor souls have already fallen victim to my in-game shenanigans towards testing new event ideas,so I believe the best course of action now is to bring the question to you.

What events would you,the players,want to see?
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017; 06:48 PM by Bryan »
"Dream big and crash often"
-Omerta

List of Global class guides.
The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Wolfilein

• Founder
  • Nameless
  • Rarwwww
    • TDE - The Dark Evolution - TDE
Re: 2038 Ideas: Events!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2017; 05:35 PM »
My first idea ( more will follow ):

Timed Bossruns.
This may be tricky because it would need a seperate area/dungeon and some modifications, but the speedkillers will love it.
The Party (or Solo-Player) will port to a room with a boss in it. The group has a time pool. As soon the player-invincibility ends, the timer starts running. (e.g. 1 minute ). When the boss is killed a portal to the next area will open and some time will be added to the timer(e.g. 30 sec.). The bosses get harder and harder (or even multiple bosses together) until time runs out or the challage is completed. The amount of bosses and the exact times need some discussion and testing. Its possible to add certain effect to the challange. basic= normal bosses, advanced=bosses have buffs, professional=buffed bosses + players have debuffs. This Event could be hosted in regular intervalls (1 per month, or every 3 month, etc.) and the Result will be posted our glorious Hall Of Fame. :-P
I think that besides eternal glory some nanoshards, palladium or special items(dismantler,dye-kits, etc.) could be handed out for players/groups that participate.

<edit>
if seperate levels or portal are to complex just make the next boss spawn after a short pause (maybe 10-30 seconds to catch your breath and let the coolsdowns recover) during this break-time the timer stops and starts when the next boss spawns.
</edit>
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017; 05:38 PM by Wolfilein »
Wolfilein

InstantDeath - 55/50 - Crit-Markswoman

Alternalo

• Named
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017; 05:42 PM »
Hi, thanks for bringing up this. I am very much looking forward to a Green Park event, which was pretty common while T3Fun GM's were active.

The event took place at Green Park station, and the GM spawned a random actboss who was free to kill by anyone going to that station. Since that station is shared along with other players, it was common to see 50 players trying to kill Moloch or Darkan.

If this kind of event could have som kind of automation it would be even better. Like a random boss in every hour with an announcement from the server like "Moloch walks the Earth".
"Twelve galaxies, and all coming at me!"

Omerta

• Raging Meataloafmaniac
  • Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017; 05:51 PM »
Hi, thanks for bringing up this. I am very much looking forward to a Green Park event, which was pretty common while T3Fun GM's were active.

The event took place at Green Park station, and the GM spawned a random actboss who was free to kill by anyone going to that station. Since that station is shared along with other players, it was common to see 50 players trying to kill Moloch or Darkan.

If this kind of event could have som kind of automation it would be even better. Like a random boss in every hour with an announcement from the server like "Moloch walks the Earth".

Hmmmmm very interesting

Wolfilein

• Founder
  • Nameless
  • Rarwwww
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017; 05:55 PM »
My Second "brainfart" concerning Events:

Treasure-Hunt !!

The Hunt will run over the time of 2-8 days. A certain area(in game level) will be announced as starting point. Any mob in this area has a small chance to drop the first Treasure-item(maybe make the level-specific-unique-mob drop it, or special treasure mobs). The item has the clue for the next area on it. This goes on until all Treasure-items are found. A special NPC could be used to turn the tresures in and get a reward.
The amount of needed treasure-items can be discussed by the admins^^
Maybe its possible to check if a player has a required item to enebale the following drops only if the needed item is on the player. Or the Treasure-Hunt-NPC will reveal the next location upon recieving the treasure-item.
Wolfilein

Wolfilein

• Founder
  • Nameless
  • Rarwwww
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017; 06:04 PM »

We need fun PvP Events.
From regular tournaments to player vs. Gm (like in Global).
Or special events that lets factions fight each other. (e.g. Templar vs. Evoker)
Naked-Fistfights or male vs. female chars, Hunter only, melee only, etc.
Guild PvP would be interesting too.
Wolfilein

eyezz

• Founder
  • Nameless
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017; 06:17 PM »
Hey Fellows,

Invasion and Treasure-Runs are very good ideas, so what about the rewards? In my opinion,  skin- or dye-rewards based on events would be great.
Do you guys think of season's implemented in London:2038? I could imagine that some of us cant play as in the early Times. A season during a month with special bossruns to obtain some crazy mod's or a great amount of nanoshards etc. would also be a nice thought...

The Spice must flow!!
"Und? Wie verbleibmer nune?"

sk0pe

• Nameless
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2017; 06:40 PM »
i always like chinese new year. they have wonderful creatures that would fit the hellgate demon/monster lore.

Violet-n-Red

• Founder
  • Named
  • [~]player.kill[Enter]
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2017; 07:29 PM »
how about some kind of infestation event, where several areas (maybe every area around chosen station?) gets swarmed with specific kind of monster and it's variants and specific number of monsters must be eradicated sever-wide. several tiers of rewards are given out based on how many creatures have been killed by player's party (why party? so that less DPS-y character would still be able to compete).

maybe even add extra area that becomes temporarily accessible at the end of event - something like insides of an exospecter or boil covered canyon that contains super beefed up semi-boss of the same kind as infestation's main monster type and have it adjust to player level.

or a tech recovery event? areas gets increased chance to spawn secret passageways, those will contain increased drop rate and chance of spawning white items, specific sort of items must be recovered (say, hunter pistols or cabalist chest armor pieces) and donated to an event NPCs. event goes for several days. donated items gives tokens, tokens can be redeemed for XP or a random high quality item of the same type as tech recovery event's target item type. tokens can be stored for the next event.

ohohoh, got another one! secret ritual. each hostile area has one of several random activable event NPCs or altars. 3 of those must be activated in areas distant enoguh from each other to get random long lasting buff/debuff depending on which kinds of objects of which type did they activate - something insignificant, but noticeable, like having player's head explode for no damage from time to time, shrink them, override their outfit color or make them emit waves of weak Fear at random intervals. effect is rerolled after completing the even again.

are these too complex?
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017; 07:54 PM by Violet-n-Red »
in case of panic break the glass, exit through the window.

BlueSunshine

• Nameless
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017; 07:43 PM »
Have a mini event lasting a few hours, maybe 4-8, perhaps every weekend or once a month. A separate league is started from scratch, all players create new characters and race to level up the highest/get furthest into questline. Maybe run at multiple exp gain/higher drop rate and large exp penalty on death.
Also at the end of the race all players can compete as equiped in PvP zone till last one left standing(HC no revives).
Could also be run as a team event.
Everything goes at the end but maybe your regular characters could receive a prize of some kind.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2017; 07:44 PM by BlueSunshine »
"Players only love you when they're playing"

BlueSunshine 8)

Butsutekkai

• Founder
  • Named
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017; 11:16 PM »
As much as i read some cool ideas, i have to say i never liked events, in any games. At least when they bring time limited rewards. When i play a game i like, i play it a LOT, but even then, i hate having the feeling i might miss something i will never be able to get at my own pace. Even if the reward or the event itself don't interest me, i feel i have to participate in order to get the goodies i might never see in the future.

For those playing Path of Exile, you might be familiar with system they have with the leagues. They bring every 3 monthes a fresh league, which is basically a ladder reset, but every time with some new content, items and bosses, or new mechanics to play with. But at the end of a lot of leagues, the content they had are introduced to the base game, so even if you decide not to play a certain league, you will be able to get the goodies or try the content.

The same thing could apply to HG 2038 i feel.
If an event introduce dyes or costumes, people that want to get them as soon as they are introduced are able to do so by joining the event in any form. They will be get items or whatever to show off in town but after a while everyone should be able to get those same things, even if it's way harder or rarer, to avoid any frustration and to avoid people playing stuff they won't always enjoyed.

I remember when T3 had the incredibly stupid idea to create an "event" where every character created during the event that reached a certain lvl would get a few millions pal.
People created tons of accounts and characters to rush blindly through the early game multiples times just to get this reward. I did 2 chars, got bored instantly and stopped. After this so called event, i was feeling like shit just because i wasn't able to grab anything in the auction house anymore cause the prices exploded by this cash injection.
Of course this example is extreme, because the nature of the event was beyond bullshit and giving in game currency as a reward is terrible, but i hope you get the idea ^^

tl;dr : I'm ok with events, as long as it doesn't bring frustration and limited access to what they have to offer.
Zeel - 55/50 Evoker                     >
Nx03-Hogire - 55/50 Striker engi >
KrameRr - 55/50 Marksman         >
   All retired :(

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2017; 11:57 PM »
I'm ok with events, as long as it doesn't bring frustration and limited access to what they have to offer.

No worries! So far the idea of introducing new/limited items through events hasn't been on the table. And even if it does come up,I very seriously doubt there will ever be event-only items. Boss-specific or area-specific items,sure,but event-only items have a very,very slim chance to ever appear. We don't/won't have a cash shop to drive such decisions anyway ;)

I was much more inclined to actually target the early or midgame-till-lv50 players in regards to rewards than the endgame. Say,give grinders a chance to get dye kits,nanos,retrainers and gear that will assist them with grinding/farming at their own level. By no means do I intend to supply absolute endgame gear through hide-and-seeks,or at the very least not until the vast majority of the playerbase has reached the endgame and only plays with it in mind :)

Of course,that's just my own opinion. Events and their rewards are not at my own discretion alone,so the future may always vary from my own intentions.

That aside, @everyone:
Great suggestions so far! For the sake of transparency though, let me kindly note that the ones that require more dev intervention by nature are less likely to be done in the early phases of the game.
To elaborate,I do not wish to burden the devs with community events until their workload is lessened,which may be a while. These fantastic people are actually working around the clock to fix bugs and add/retrofit content,so the last thing I'd consider ideal early on is to add to their to-do list.

Rest assured though,that less intricate events such as PvP,Treasure Hunts,Rifts and...RP ones (wink wink) are well within the CMs' abilities,so those should be very possible very early :)
I've been actively testing some of those with some kind tester souls,and the results are very promising indeed.
-Omerta

The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

Violet-n-Red

• Founder
  • Named
  • [~]player.kill[Enter]
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017; 05:40 PM »
how much devs/admins can do without putting too much effort into it? as i understand, spawning stuff like mobs of monsters, bosses and hellrifts is not a problem. what else can be done as eaily? say, what about putting a giant taunt aura on a player? or locking them in an area with endlesly respawning monsters? maybe putting whole party in a random area few levels above their own and making them fight through it towards closest station?
in case of panic break the glass, exit through the window.

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2017; 06:53 PM »
how much devs/admins can do without putting too much effort into it? as i understand, spawning stuff like mobs of monsters, bosses and hellrifts is not a problem. what else can be done as eaily? say, what about putting a giant taunt aura on a player? or locking them in an area with endlesly respawning monsters? maybe putting whole party in a random area few levels above their own and making them fight through it towards closest station?

Let's see. For the moment,here are the easiest ones to carry out without dev magic:

-Rifts. Those change somewhat based on the area,and their spawn patterns/levels/numbers can be entirely manipulated. Add random bosses in the mix,and the Rift gauntlet is by far the easiest PvE combat event available.
I just need to keep exploring exactly which areas affect difficulty to what extent,so as to have this be a challenging event/encounter instead of an overly easy or hard one.

-PvP. This is also very,very easy to organize. Making up tournament lineups and rules (naked fistfights,kill the GM and so forth),utilizing the more intricate PvP modes (Capture the Flag etc) and spawning monsters during the matches (yes,some can spawn ;) ) can all be employed to have some makeshift events until more dev-sided ones can be implemented.

-Treasure Hunts. While those can only be very simple for now,in the sense that no new items can be specifically added for them,they are very possible. Having players actively pursue X items in Y rarity and/or Z named rare/legendary,with a reward of their choosing,is almost too simple to do.

-RP ones. Those are my personal favorites,in the sense that they haven't been done before and I love to goof around with the idea. Having GMs pose as,say,ghosts that pose riddles related to their deaths is a very amusing idea for me,and hopefully others as well.

Do keep in mind,that that's more or less all that can be done at the moment . Which moment is in itself not quite the time for full fledged events yet,given all the wipes that are to follow as the game moves into the beta and towards the final release. But that's bound to change very soon ;)
-Omerta

pennywise1

• Founder
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017; 01:06 AM »

I remember something weird happened at one point and Syd managed to spawn in one of the other stations and a guardian npc had to kill him. Probably want to avoid that happening. Not sure if it could break the server or not lol.

Pop? What pop?
You said you worked magic on me to do away with all the popping.
There should\'nt be any popping.
There\'s protective magic! You said so! Make it protect!