Author Topic: 2038 Ideas: Class roles  (Read 346 times)

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
2038 Ideas: Class roles
« on: May 19, 2017; 05:59 PM »
The recent discussions on class balance brought up an interesting argument; some classes seem to have trouble fulfilling certain roles that they'd theoretically be able to focus on.
Examples would include Blademasters being offtanks, Summoners being tanks, Engineers being offtank/healer supporters, and so forth. So, for instance, in those examples:

• Offtank Blademasters
BMs with a core skillset like this should be able to sacrifice damage for survivability, an AoE heal and a decent taunt. I believe the main reason why this approach falls short is twofold; one, the taunt is unreliable, and two, the class lacks other (ie speed reducing) debuffs to reinforce the role. So I'd suggest to
-buff Call Of The Chosen to roughly match Denounce, making it reliable, or
-possibly reduce the Surges' and Call's max points to 7, to allow for some build flexibility, or
-introduce minor debuffs into other skills (such as speed reduction into Crosscutter as in Global), to make offtanking realistically more possible, or
-any combination of the above.

Of course, the Beta will need to provide some insight into the BMs' overall survivability. Such skills as Surge of Restoration and Templar Restoration may need to be reconsidered, if the class ends up overshadowing Guardians.

• Tank Summoners
I believe that the reason why Summoners can't perform well as tanks, and the reason why so few players prefer Carnagor as their main minion, is simply that Meatshield lacks as a taunt skill. So, I'd suggest to
-decrease its CD to match its duration, or
-modify it to not restrict movement while active (as in Global), or
-increase its radius and/or taunt strength, making it work on bosses, or
-modify the Carnagor's AI to be more aggressive to better utilize the skill, or
-modify the Carnagor itself to have it generate more "threat", or

An alternative approach would be to modify Darkform itself into a skill that boosts/provides tanking capabilities. While this may overshadow the Carnagor as a minion, it may also make a DF+Carnagor build one's best way to ensure aggro is kept at all times. In this direction I'd suggest to
-modify Darkform itself to generate more "threat", or
-introduce a Challenge/Denounce-esque skill, to allow the player to manually taunt, or
-allow it to synergize with the Toxic tree (if it's restored), allowing the player to benefit from Venom Armor, or

• Offtank/healer/supporter Engineers
Drone-based Engineers offer some appealing options in this regard. Medpack Retrofit and Shield Generator Retrofit both assist in supporting the party and the main tank specifically. However, this approach falls short for a couple of reasons; one, the Drone can't reliably hold aggro, and two, both said skills are fairly lackluster. So, I'd suggest to
-modify the Drone itself to generate more "threat", or
-modify any of the Drone's skills to include a taunt effect or introduce a separate taunt skill for it, or
-allow multiple Retrofits to be active at once, or
-modify both Medpack and Shield Generator to tick more frequently, or
-modify both Medpack and Shield Generator to have their duration match their CDs, or
-modify any Retrofit to include some other appealing party-oriented property, such as debuff removal, or

With this particular focus (unlike the other thread ;) ), what would you like to see?
"Dream big and crash often"
-Omerta

List of Global class guides.
The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true to an extent for some mods and 2038.

conetopia

• Nameless
Re: 2038 Ideas: Class roles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017; 08:52 PM »
"""    Tank Summoners

I believe that the reason why Summoners can't perform well as tanks, and the reason why so few players prefer Carnagor as their main minion, is simply that Meatshield lacks as a taunt skill. So, I'd suggest to
-decrease its CD to match its duration, or
-modify it to not restrict movement while active (as in Global), or
-increase its radius and/or taunt strength, making it work on bosses, or
-modify the Carnagor's AI to be more aggressive to better utilize the skill, or
-modify the Carnagor itself to have it generate more "threat", or
-any combination of the above. ''''

------
how about the ability to summon 2 of the same minions based on duration CD , and based on items.
That way its not a boring Pres Button abc every X amount of secounds.
so if you crit or take damage it reduces the cooldown by X amount of secounds allowing the chance to hit the abc button again to be able to summon that secound minion. Reduced total effects? idk. just a wild thought to put out there.