Author Topic: How to clone characters?  (Read 413 times)

michel741

• Nameless
How to clone characters?
« on: Aug 01, 2017; 09:16 PM »
If i have hi-level chars and want to clone them to try & have multiple builds without rerolls, how can i do this? Simple copy & rename save files doesn't work...
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017; 09:25 PM by michel741 »

Morphy

• Named
Re: How to clone characters?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2017; 11:15 PM »
If i have hi-level chars and want to clone them to try & have multiple builds without rerolls, how can i do this? Simple copy & rename save files doesn't work...

First, you need the name.hg1 file AND the <name> folder.

And the hg1 file has the name inside it too:

RGMH   (   (                           H e l l g a t e :   L o n d o n                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 B r a n d y                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Ðl     pÛ @   °Ð

The character's name is Brandy.

Now - I have NOT tried editing that... it might corrupt the file.

Note too, it's hex and it looks like space separation between the characters (*runs off to check*)

At 820 hex, the name starts; the space in text is 00 hex (nul)

You MIGHT be luck with editing that - I'd start with keeping the name the same length.
Brandy to Helena - keeping the 00 between the characters.

it might work... I'll try and report back.

EDIT:

Nope.

I copied "Brandy" and hex edited the name to "Helena" (and changed the filename and folder name too).

It just wasn't there when I started HGL.  (Revival and Nagahaku, neither worked)

Oh well. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2017; 11:22 PM by Morphy »

michel741

• Nameless
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2017; 09:15 PM »
It is possible to create clones by rename copy, and they even will have new names in-game, but game will recognize only one character, preferably original. But if original char deleted from save folder, game will show clone char. So it is seems that the only way is to have special folder to swap charcters by moving them, and you even don't need folders with the .map files.

Morphy

• Named
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2017; 08:51 PM »
Interesting - I wonder why the game won't see "Helena" (with the name changed inside) as different from "Brandy".

It's easy enough to copy (or rar archive) the characters and then play about with them - then you have the rar full of the original characters.