Author Topic: Reanimator r1135 -- Updated 2013-01-01  (Read 29302 times)

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
Reanimator r1135 -- Updated 2013-01-01
« on: Dec 19, 2012; 09:36 AM »
Reanimator and Hellpack (r1135) -- Updated 2013-01-01
  • Here are the latest Reanimator and Hellpack builds (r1135) - apologies for the belated public release.
    I had intended to release it in May but alas, Uni took hold and it completely slipped my mind  :(.

Changes/Updates
  • r1135 (2013-01-01)
    • Fix Win XP x86 Icon size limitation.
    • Add unhandled exception handler.
    • Add FileExplorer and TableEditor screenshots.
  • r1134 (2012-12-23)
    • Add release readme.txt.
  • Older (2012-12-19)
    • The most recent/significant changes relate to whatever Nagahaku needed/requested of me at the time - I'd fix, Nagahaku would test and report any bugs and etc. rinse and repeat heh.
      These were mainly related to game XML resources (uncooking and cooking) and also the level rules, as well as Hellpack integration and fixes of these... As far as I'm aware (and can remember :-[), it was all working and crash free last we spoke.
      For those interested in the details, you can check out the SVN change logs on the Google Code site (http://code.google.com/p/reanimator/), but otherwise, enjoy.

Edit by Bryan: Kindly check the attachments below for a working link.

Installation
  • Simply extract zip file to desired location (also see Requirements):
    • Reanimator: Run Reanimator.exe, and it should ask to set HGL path (or go to Options).
    • Hellpack (command line tool): For most common file formats (.xml, .coooked, .dat), simply drag-and-drop onto hellpack.exe and it should "just work" (cook, uncook, or extract the file - if the operation is supported) - THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL and can be buggy/weird sometimes... (this feature is mostly used for debugging and quick testing, but can be useful when it works).
      For full hellpack usage, call with /help or /?
      (note: as far as I'm aware, everything and more but mod installation can be done in Reanimator)

Requirements
  • A Hellgate Installation
    The following are known to work:
    • SP should be 100% supported.
    • TC (Test Centre) should also be fully supported (though I've not tested it in a while so hopefully no bugs have been introduced since).
    • Japanese was mostly supported - I'd be surprised if there weren't some table uncooking issues by now though.
    • Global was mostly supported (more so) - but as above with the Japanese client however.
    • <other regions should also work, but again, depends on whether there have been table structure changes>
      • Since it probably needs to be said; changing the data files on your online client will likely result in a permaban for "hacking".
        The client holds a CRC value for each of the data files, and for all the individual files.
        Additionally, we in no way condone bypassing these and yada yada yada (i.e. play nice; don't be an ass).

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (at least)
    (sorry, but there are certain features that we do use from 4.0, so it's not that we just decided to compile to it "just because")
  • ~10 MB HDD free (lol) - though in all seriousness, ~2 GB+ free only if you plan to extract the .dat and/or .hpd files

Alex.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2017; 04:07 PM by Bryan »

Krokenoster

• Nameless
Re: Reanimator r1133
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2012; 08:16 AM »
Hey there when starting the Reanimator r1133 it gives me an error : Reanimator has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any ideas how to get it to run

Noai

• Nameless
Re: Reanimator r1133
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012; 08:58 PM »
Oh, just the usual people using .NET 10000.0 (Okay, try 4.0 or w/e is the latest).

Of course, .NET Framework 2.0 is usually good enough and doesn't take upto 30% space of the the windows installation... but newer is better so people expect others to "always update just because the version number changed, regardless of how it loads a few dozen dlls on boot and can slow down the system". *huh, interesting... I haven't even installed 2.0 this time around (OS gets reimaged alot because... I'm bored?)

Nvm... just download the latest Microsoft .NET Framework and it'll probably work.

Just as a word of advice, it is extremely unprofessional to not know what people need to run the software. Mind you, the vast majority of "forum software development" tends to do this; but every upload should indicate the exact version that it was compiled under and not rely on discovery. (In fact, this information should be in a readme!)

But again, this is common of "forum software development" (and even a few open source projects)... it is something that should stop; but given anyone can program with a very high level language, it is unlikely to.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012; 09:25 PM by Noai »

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
Re: Reanimator r1134
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2012; 09:43 AM »
Oh, just the usual people using .NET 10000.0 (Okay, try 4.0 or w/e is the latest).

Of course, .NET Framework 2.0 is usually good enough and doesn't take upto 30% space of the the windows installation... but newer is better so people expect others to "always update just because the version number changed, regardless of how it loads a few dozen dlls on boot and can slow down the system". *huh, interesting... I haven't even installed 2.0 this time around (OS gets reimaged alot because... I'm bored?)

Nvm... just download the latest Microsoft .NET Framework and it'll probably work.

Just as a word of advice, it is extremely unprofessional to not know what people need to run the software. Mind you, the vast majority of "forum software development" tends to do this; but every upload should indicate the exact version that it was compiled under and not rely on discovery. (In fact, this information should be in a readme!)

But again, this is common of "forum software development" (and even a few open source projects)... it is something that should stop; but given anyone can program with a very high level language, it is unlikely to.
While your apparent disapproval of .NET is unfortunate (for you), I find it to be quite handy for writing things in less than 1/2 the time compared to C/C++ or whatever it is you prefer. If you're going to suggest Java - well, that is an archaic piece of crap that should've died years ago... Having said that, I AM looking forward to Java 8, where it will finally become the modern language it should've been years ago (and yes, unfortunately I use Java daily – far more than C# as of late). However since you seem to disapprove of using the latest versions, I guess Java 8 is a no-go anyway, and I also suppose C++11, being a new version, is also off limits?

As for the 4.0 requirement; it was compiled to 4.0 because it uses features from 4.0 (feel free to pull the source and attempt to compile it if you don't believe me) – yes, the 4.0 features could be removed, however they are convenient, and make the code easier to read, and easier to maintain, which equals less bugs. Moreover, of the many dozens of computers I am aware of (having fixed/repaired them at some point), the smallest HDD is good 200+ GB, equating to but a few percentage of the total space.

Anyway, snarky remarks aside, I do agree I should've put a bit more info up for the release (and a readme) – and now that I think about it, I can't stand it when program releases don't have at least a readme... So I completely understand your irritation in that respect – if your rather jagged reply is the result of that, then my apologies.

Hey there when starting the Reanimator r1133 it gives me an error : Reanimator has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any ideas how to get it to run
As mentioned by Noai, this is probably due to the absence of .NET 4.0, so check that you have it.
If you're unsure, just running the web installer should tell you... (I have not tested this, but I'd like to think it's smart enough to only install it once heh).
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2012; 09:48 AM by alex2069 »

Harrowing

• Developer
  • Dark Will
  • IGN's *Harrowing *Sylphien *Garock
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2012; 09:21 PM »
I have fully updated 4.0 framework, Running windows xp (fully patched) 32bit,  The process wont start not even with a shortcut or using a cmd prompt.  Am I missing something steps wise?
The absence of energy is Absolute Zero

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2012; 07:43 AM »
I have fully updated 4.0 framework, Running windows xp (fully patched) 32bit,  The process wont start not even with a shortcut or using a cmd prompt.  Am I missing something steps wise?
Few questions:
Reanimator or Hellpack?
Have you used it (older versions) before?
Do you have a proper HGL installation? Or was it just a copy-paste kind of folder? (i.e. would your HGL installation be in the registry)

Harrowing

• Developer
  • Dark Will
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2012; 08:17 AM »
Reanimator;
Hellpack works with a csv error on one of the idx files. but it didn't stop the operation.

100% working fresh install of Hg 1.2 (2.0 mp tc 4) working and verified before Installed reanimator( with naga 3.0, ,molly fix, re-applied chest fix)

All previous versions of reanimator I have and still do work, do I need to delete the registry entry and re-extract?

Separate registry and startup routines for global and HG sp, I can run both process' at the same time.<--- do I need to un-install HG:G for reanimator to work?

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012; 03:40 AM »
Reanimator;
Hellpack works with a csv error on one of the idx files. but it didn't stop the operation.

100% working fresh install of Hg 1.2 (2.0 mp tc 4) working and verified before Installed reanimator( with naga 3.0, ,molly fix, re-applied chest fix)
What patches/mods did you try and install that caused the error?
I'm not overly familiar with hellpack usage but if I can reproduce it, I can fix it (assuming it's a programming bug and not due to CSV format changes or something).

All previous versions of reanimator I have and still do work, do I need to delete the registry entry and re-extract?
You shouldn't need to re-extract, but it's possible the registry entries are having issues... For memory there should be a log.xml in the same folder which might help diagnose any issues.

Separate registry and startup routines for global and HG sp, I can run both process' at the same time.<--- do I need to un-install HG:G for reanimator to work?
Shouldn't matter about multiple HG installations (I've got at least 4 different regions/version on mine lol).
The use of the registry for Reanimator's settings does limit it to a single instance however (in hindsight site this was probably a bad choice... Semi-easy to remedy if someone wanted it though).
Unfortunately Reanimator was primarily designed/tested with regards to dev. stuff, so there're probably more than a few scenarios that haven't been accounted for.

I'm visiting family at the moment and I don't have Visual Studio on this laptop so I can't help a huge amount right now. If you have logs that would be helpful (for when I get back) - if you're still having problems I might add in/enable more start-up logging, and a switch to reset the Reanimator registry entries (long needed).

Edit: Actually nm, I do have VS on here - let me know about the log files and such and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012; 03:44 AM by alex2069 »

PeterJM

• Nameless
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013; 03:03 AM »
I have exactly the same problem as reported by the other posters. Also using XP 32bit (with latest .Net etc). Previous versions of Reanimator work fine with my Hellgate: London SP patched to Revival 1.51b. I am replying as I noticed the following events in the log after each attempt to run r1134 - they may help in the debugging...

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   .NET Runtime
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1026
Date:      29/12/2012
Time:      6:56:02 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   NONE
Description:
Application: Reanimator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Stack:
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(System.IRuntimeMethodInfo, System.Object, System.SignatureStruct ByRef, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo, System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(System.Object, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo, System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectHolder)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler, System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser, Boolean, Boolean, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMethodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(System.IO.Stream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler, Boolean, Boolean, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMethodCallMessage)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(Int32)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader._LoadObjectV2(Int32, System.Resources.ResourceTypeCode ByRef)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(Int32, System.Resources.ResourceTypeCode ByRef)
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32, System.Resources.ResourceTypeCode ByRef)
   at System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject(System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject(System.String, Boolean)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(System.String, System.Globalization.CultureInfo, Boolean)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(System.String, System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
   at Reanimator.Properties.Resources.get_icon2()
   at Reanimator.Forms.Reanimator._SetIcon()
   at Reanimator.Forms.Reanimator..ctor()
   at Reanimator.Program.Main()
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013; 10:52 AM »
I have exactly the same problem as reported by the other posters. Also using XP 32bit (with latest .Net etc). Previous versions of Reanimator work fine with my Hellgate: London SP patched to Revival 1.51b. I am replying as I noticed the following events in the log after each attempt to run r1134 - they may help in the debugging...

<snip />
Ahhh perfect! A nice detailed bug report - exactly what I needed!
Fired up VMware and fixed the bug, and the first post has been updated with the latest revision (r1135).
Let me know if there are any other problems.

Alex.

Harrowing

• Developer
  • Dark Will
Re: Reanimator r1135 -- Updated 2013-01-01
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013; 09:10 AM »
100% working no not csv errors as well.

alex2069

• Developer
  • Nameless
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013; 09:31 AM »
100% working no not csv errors as well.
Glad it's working - I suspect that bug was affecting quite a few people. x.x

Also, was that double negative intentional? i.e. You're not getting CSV errors any more?
Or a typo, and that you are now getting CSV errors?
I'm hoping the former lol

Harrowing

• Developer
  • Dark Will
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013; 01:23 AM »
horrible typing.

100% means its working with no errors.

Krokenoster

• Nameless
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2013; 04:56 PM »
Thank you very much for fixing it for xp  ;) +1

PeterJM

• Nameless
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2013; 04:10 AM »
Great work getting it going under XP, but I notice Trading does not work - is this another XP issue or is this functionality still broken (since the last working version 1.1.0 I think)? When I select a character to trade from/to I get the following on screen error (attached - too verbose to retype accurately!) - basically a nullreferenceexception. Great if you could get this to work, otherwise I will stick with the old working version for this function.

Thanks