Author Topic: Why I haven't been playing HGG (hint I've fallen for some new games)  (Read 7234 times)

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
First let me say that I was a rabid HG fan from Halloween 2007 up until about a month after the HGG OBT started. I still like the game and have no regrets about the hours... no make that days I have played. That said, I know many of you have noticed the dwindling player base. Well rather than tear apart HGG I will explain why I have stopped playing.... at least for now. Back in the end of July, a small indie dev in france released a really cool source engine RPG called E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. You can find it here on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/?snr=1_4_4__13

Let's just say I have been completely captivated by this little indie gem. But alas I didn't come here to review that game, but to explain why I have stopped playing HGG. Other things that are holding me back include sweet new upcoming games. I recently downloaded the demo for Space Marine and it was AWESOME! I immediately preordered it. You can find it here:

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/55150/

Two other games that have my eye at the moment are:

Hard Reset    http://store.steampowered.com/app/98400/?snr=1_agecheck_agecheck__13

and

Dishonored    http://www.dishonored.com/

In addition, I have also preordered Battlefield 3 and SWTOR. I will also have difficulty sleeping when ES V: Skyrim comes out.

Needless to say, I simply don't have time to play HGG anymore. The best analogy I can make is this: remember back when you were in HS or college and you were madly in love and thought it would last forever? Guess what? It didn't. As with life, so it is with games. You can be completely blown away by a game and enjoying your playing time day after day, week after week, month after month..etc. and then BAM... you find a new love.....errrr game :)

So have I played HGG for the last time? Maybe not. One thing is for certain though. Years from now when I look back on my life of gaming, I will always remember Hellgate and the fun I had.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011; 07:08 AM by jpnole »

Tarja

• Founder
  • Named
I'm plying Deus Ex 3 (and is it awesome! I have no words for such awesomeness) now, and then there will be Skyrim, and then there will be ME3 and what have you...I'm a singlepayer-junkie.

I take myself out from the guild, because I'm not that active anyway there, and I don't party. Though I really liked to read the guild-chat.

Buuuut it doesen't mean I would leave this site or Hellgate!

belhawk

• Founder
  • Named
i also am looking forward to Skyrim, ME3. 
Also, the feed requirements are too high, and in expertise u no longer can improve your attributes.  On a Moloch run with some friends, i got a eyes of the maverick helmet, but due to the feed requirements, i will never be able to use it.
cpu]

django

• Founder
  • Nameless
  • Say hello to my little friend!
err... i guess you got something wrong... with every rank you gain, you get additional 5 statpoints. I also thought i could never wear any good stuff first, but now at rank 24 its getting better and better. ofc feeds are much higher than we were used to, buts not so bad, that i would stop playing cause of it.
Pistolero MM 55/27 (Mongo Klikke)
Comanche ENG 50/9 (Mongo Klikke)
Sanchi EVO 55/24 (Mongo Klikke)

ERISS

• Founder
  • Nameless
Yeay: Why I still play HG: That's not a Steam game.

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
Yeay: Why I still play HG: That's not a Steam game.

Steam is just a provider of games. Sort of a middleman between the devs and the players. They deal in all games ranging from AAA titles to indie games. HG would have been way better off under Steam in fact. Steam also carries F2P games and it would have given HG much wider exposure. Again, nothing wrong with HG as a game.

tetron

• Nameless
I personally have fallen in love with guild wars 2.
manual dodging/blocking/parrying = yes more realistic situation instead of standing their whacking each other till one of them dies.

WhiteBoy88

• Founder
  • Nameless
...standing their whacking each other till one of them dies.
Except that this is how most real fights are played out  :P
I've been in the Path of Exile beta, which is a wonderful little hack-and-slash ARPG in the Diablo style.
Prevenge - Gundian
Redvex - Summoner

Jaknet

• Founder
  • Dark Will
Still playing at times with low level chars, but with the only new content being cash shop items, the lack of mythic till end game, connection problems, etc I can see me going back to to SP very soon, just waiting for Nagahaku's mod to come out, or back to 1.5b to start a new char with.

Nostalgia... Isn't what it used to be

ERISS

• Founder
  • Nameless
Why I still play HG: That's not a Steam game.
Steam is just a provider of games.. HG would have been way better off under Steam in fact.
Maybe, but I don't play to this DRM. So I'm very happy HG is one rare game still not stollen by Steam.

Rawmeat

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Personal Text Goes Here :)
Lol i started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and haven't stopped must get back to Hellgate :)

Beneath Modern London Lives a Tribe of Once Humans. Neither Men Nor Women...They Are the Raw Meat Of The Human Race!

Per Ardua ad Astra

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
Still playing at times with low level chars, but with the only new content being cash shop items, the lack of mythic till end game, connection problems, etc I can see me going back to to SP very soon, just waiting for Nagahaku's mod to come out, or back to 1.5b to start a new char with.

Having just read about that mod, I can assure you I'll be playing HG again to try it. Still.... so many games, so little time! Also the cash shop sucks!

jpnole

• Founder
  • Nameless
Why I still play HG: That's not a Steam game.
Steam is just a provider of games.. HG would have been way better off under Steam in fact.
Maybe, but I don't play to this DRM. So I'm very happy HG is one rare game still not stollen by Steam.

I pay for all my games so DRM has never really bothered me or kept me from enjoying a game. Honestly, how does the DRM on Steam games negatively affect gamers or gaming in general? Yeah CD Projekt (Witcher 2) dropped their DRM, but it's just marketing. They will make their killing on the consoles. Yeah DRM is annoying, but I think the anti DRM argument is overblown.

Rawmeat

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • Personal Text Goes Here :)
Steam can suck my ass  >:(

Beneath Modern London Lives a Tribe of Once Humans. Neither Men Nor Women...They Are the Raw Meat Of The Human Race!

Per Ardua ad Astra

thegreatcthulhu

• Great Priest of the Deep Ones
  • Administrator
  • Eldest
    • http://www.sotwguild.com/
Steam can suck my ass  >:(

Cthulhu seconds that notion... although Cthulhu would preferably change the wording... since Cthulhu has more sensible notions than having an entity inhale something out of a hole that Cthulhu does not possess.

Cthulhu shares the author's sentiments about there being more interesting games. Cthulhu also most lament that as soon as Phantasy Star Online 2 becomes available in English, Cthulhu will most likely not have anything to do with Hellgate (unless a sequel somehow manifests).

Not to us, Lord, but to Your Name give the glory
    - The Templar Motto

Teach me, empower me, purify me, release me
      - The Templar Prayer