Author Topic: authentication server  (Read 2413 times)

KIRSPLAT

• Nameless
authentication server
« on: Jul 06, 2015; 04:24 AM »
I keep getting "could not connect to authentication server"... Can I possibly get some info on how to fix the server issue?, is there a patch?, or have they finally figured out how to hack that too? lol

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
Re: authentication server
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2015; 09:37 PM »
Hi Kirsplat!

You've originally posted this in "Hellgate:London - General" where it's a bit out of place. (HG:L online is truly dead ;))
I've moved the thread to "Hellgate Global".

I have no issues with authentication and can login to the game just fine.

Any chance you've been fiddling with DNS (entries) on your side - e.g. to circumvent login problems - in the past? The server IPs may have changed without you noticing it, while you still try to connect to outdated addresses... Apart from that I have no immediate idea of what might be going on there that prevents you from logging in...

Regards, NiteHawk
"'Chocolate Park' sounds... suspiciously cute."

KIRSPLAT

• Nameless
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2015; 09:51 PM »
ty for the reply,, not sure what happened, just stopped connecting, and have done no 'fiddling", as for posting in HELLGATE;L.. my bad. just trying to get back to the game
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2015; 09:52 PM by KIRSPLAT »

Khaos

• Nameless
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2015; 12:41 PM »
I will attach the contents of my serverlist.xml to this post.
Make a backup copy of your serverlist.xml in your Hellgate Global folder then rename this .txt-tfile to "serverlist.xml" and copy it into your Hellgate Global folder overwriting the existing one.

So far Hellgate Global is working for me.
Can you connect to hanbiton.com?

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2015; 01:43 PM »
I've been looking into this a bit deeper.

The well-known error dialog "weblauncher - Could not connect to authentication server" appears if the launcher (hgllauncher.exe) fails to establish a proper HTTP(S) connection to frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com. (This address can be found in launcher.dat)

So the first thing to check would be if frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com resolves to the right address (e.g. using nslookup frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com from the Windows command prompt) - it currently should point to 54.208.14.25. Another simple test is to open the URL http://frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com, which should return an empty IIS start page (in Korean) - (see below).

You may also try to mimic the actual launcher request (e.g. https://frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com/authenticate/authenticate_launcher.aspx?region=0&apptype=2&test=0). If it goes through, the reply should be similar to
Code: [Select]
HGLLauncher v1.0|wating ...|184880897|1|d13trnvrlb3nju.cloudfront.net|80|patch/usa_service_client_main

If anything goes wrong, the launcher will bail out with the rather uninformative "Could not connect" message. As it relies on the system / IE components to send the query, there are several places where things could go wrong. (DNS problems, proxy settings, antivirus / "web security" software, ...)

Regards, NiteHawk

Maxunit

• Founder
  • Nameless
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2015; 05:50 PM »
I haven't played Hellgate in a while (nor posted here in a while, still lurking).

I cannot connect to Hellgate as well, doing a

nslookup frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com

returns:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 2001:4860:4860:8888

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Right now, the Server is unreachable.

I am using the Google DNS in my Network Card settings, btw.

Opening http://frontend-ghgl.t3fun.com/ in Chrome works tho and shows me a generic page in Korean.

Khaos

• Nameless
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2015; 01:47 AM »
Over on hellgate-resurrection sombody had similar problems and found out that on his system the Automatic Root Certificates Updates were disabled.

After enabling them again he could play again.
Maybe that helps to resolve the issues.

NiteHawk

• Administrator
  • Dark Will
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2015; 01:26 PM »
Over on hellgate-resurrection sombody had similar problems and found out that on his system the Automatic Root Certificates Updates were disabled.

After enabling them again he could play again.
Maybe that helps to resolve the issues.

Good point. The launcher may refuse / abort the HTTPS transfer if the remote site isn't trusted due to problems with the certificate.

Regards, NiteHawk